- When is the “Charge Ready Home Installation Rebate” ending and why?
- If I apply on May 31st, 2019, when does my installation work need to be done and when are my supporting documents due?
- What is the “Charge Ready Home Installation Rebate”?
- Do I qualify for the rebate?
- How do I submit my supporting documents?
- What is the rebate amount?
- What does the rebate cover?
- Does the rebate cover the cost of the Level 2 Charging Station?
- If the rebate does not cover the cost of the charging station, why do I need to provide a receipt proving purchase of a Level 2 charging station?
- Why do I need to upload a copy or receipt of the permit I need for the work at my home?
- Why are there two rebate options?
- What if I purchased my EV more than 6 months ago?
- In order to qualify for the rebate on the home electrical upgrades, does it matter whether my vehicle is a plug-in hybrid or an all-electric vehicle?
- Does SCE have any other programs for EVs?
- Does SCE charge customers to install a second meter or to replace an existing meter?
- Where do I go to change my SCE rate?
- What is TOU-EV-1 and what installation work is needed to Enroll?
- What are the Terms and Conditions?
When is the “Charge Ready Home Installation Rebate” ending and why?
The Charge Ready Home Installation Rebate is a one-year pilot program that launched May 30th, 2019. The last day to submit an application for this pilot is May 31st, 2019 at 5PM PST. After this time, no new applications can be submitted.
If I apply on May 31st, 2019, when does my installation work need to be done and when are my supporting documents due?
If an application is submitted on May 31st, 2019, the last day to complete the installation process, submit all required documents, and confirm an eligible Time-Of-Use service plan is active is June 30th, 2019. If you applied prior to May 1st, 2019, you must submit all requested documents by the deadline outlined in the emails we sent you on the day you applied.
What is the “Charge Ready Home Installation Rebate”?
Residential customers can receive a rebate of up to $1,500 toward their out-of-pocket costs for installation (including necessary home infrastructure upgrades) and permitting of a Level 2 (240-volt) charging station. To be eligible for the rebate, the customer must meet all Program requirements, including signing up for an eligible time-of-use rate and hiring a licensed electrician to perform the installation. The rebate will not cover any costs of purchasing the charging station.
Do I qualify for the rebate?
To understand if you’re eligible for the rebate, please see Eligibility Requirements
How do I submit my supporting documents?
Easy Online Upload:
Each supporting document must be in a single file. We accept PDF, JPG, and PNG files. Please make sure your files are not uploaded sideways. If you have more than one page for a supporting document, here is a way to combine multiple files into one document:
What is the rebate amount?
The standard rebate offers up to $500 and the increased rebate is offers up to $1,500.
What does the rebate cover?
Rebates are provided to cover the cost of the home electrical upgrades required for installing your EV charging station at home. To make your home EV-ready, you may need to upgrade your circuit, wiring, panel, and sockets. The rebate will cover these upgrades as well as the labor installing these. The rebate can also go towards the cost of the appropriate permits. Any costs over the provided rebate amount will be your responsibility.
Does the rebate cover the cost of the Level 2 Charging Station?
No. Rebates are provided to cover the cost of the installation of the Level 2 charging station, including all of the home electrical infrastructure upgrades required. The cost of the charging station is not covered by the rebate.
If the rebate does not cover the cost of the charging station, why do I need to provide a receipt proving purchase of a Level 2 charging station?
The program only provides a rebate for installation and upgrades to install Level 2 charging stations. A Level 2 charging station is a charging station that is connected to a 240 volt power source and typically ranges between 3.3 and 19.2 kW. A proof of purchase, or other reliable evidence that you are installing a Level 2 charging station is therefore required to comply with the terms of the program.
Why do I need to upload a copy or receipt of the permit I need for the work at my home?
Permits are an important part of getting your home ready for Level 2 charging and help ensure that the work is done safely and following all local codes and requirements. Also the rebate will reimburse you for your permitting costs, up to the maximum rebate amount, so SCE needs a receipt for those costs to verify them.
Why are there two rebate options ?
Taking new service dedicated for charging your EV on the TOU-EV-1 rate requires the installation of a separate meter, which may require that additional work be completed by the electrician. The higher rebate amount for the increased rebate is to help cover the additional cost. The amount for the standard rebate is designed to cover the out-of-pocket cost for hiring an electrician to install the charging station and for the permitting cost associated with charging your EV on any other residential TOU rate plan.
What if I purchased my EV more than 6 months ago?
You are not eligible to participate in this Program. To be eligible, the vehicle must have been purchased or lealsed within 6 months of application.
In order to qualify for the rebate on the home electrical upgrades, does it matter whether my vehicle is a plug-in hybrid or an all-electric vehicle?
To be eligible, the vehicle must be listed as a plug-in hybrid or all-electric on HOV Eligibility List. For this program, EVs include both plug-in hybrid electric vehicles and battery electric vehicles but excludes electric bikes, electric motorcycles, electric scooters and neighborhood vehicles.
Does SCE have any other programs for EVs?
Customers can visit www.sce.com/PEV to learn more about other EV-related programs or services, and to get more information about EVs. SCE also offers the Clean Fuel Rewards Program, which gives a $450 rebate to qualified customers who purchase or lease plug-in hybrid and all-electric vehicles.
Does SCE charge customers to install a second meter or to replace an existing meter?
SCE does not charge customers to replace an existing meter or to install a second meter, if necessary. (Note: the cost of a second meter is included in the TOU-EV‐1 rate.) To support EV charging, however, a home may require electrical system modifications. The customer is responsible for the cost of upgrades that exceed the rebate amount.
Where do I go to change my SCE rate?
Visit www.sce.com/PEV or contact SCE Customer Support at 1-800-4EV-INFO [ 1-800-438-4636] for assistance with enrolling in TOU rates
What is TOU-EV-1 and what installation work is needed to Enroll?
Program Terms & Conditions
- To be eligible for the Charge Ready Home Installation Rebate, you must (i) be a customer of Southern California Edison (SCE) with an active residential electric service account, including Community Choice Aggregator (CCA) and Direct Access (DA) customers; (ii) within six months of applying for the rebate, have purchase or leased a qualified plug-in electric vehicle (EV) that is registered at the address corresponding to the SCE service account; (iii) have paid the current vehicle registration fees in the State of California; (iv) have installed or plan to install a Level 2 charging station. A Level 2 charging station is a charging station that is connected to a 240-volt power source and typically ranges between 3.3 and 19.2 kW.
- You confirm your understanding of the program Eligibility Requirements and agrees to provide all required documents set forth in the program Eligibility Requirements and as otherwise required through the Application and document submission process.
- If applicable, you may receive a rebate for multiple residential Level 2 charging station installations at various locations for use with the same EV, and may receive more than one rebate at a residence if two or more EVs use separate charging stations at that residence, but only one rebate is available for the same vehicle at any one address. Each application may only request one rebate for a unique service address / vehicle combination. For each rebate application, a separate receipt and photograph must be provided. You agree not to apply, or to cause anyone else in his or her household to apply, for more than one rebate for the same service address and same EV.
- The current rebate amount is set forth on the application. Rebate amounts are subject to change at any time and may be greater or less than the current value posted in the application in the future. Rebate funds are limited, and some rebate funds are reserved for customers living in disadvantaged communities, as defined by the CalEnviroScreen 3.0, a tool offered by the California Environmental Protection Agency. The remainder of the funds are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- If the customer name entered on the application does not match the name shown on the vehicle registration exactly, customer agrees that SCE, in its discretion, may make minor edits to the applicant's name to match that on the vehicle registration card. (ex., Tom to Thomas). SCE, or the Program Administrator, will secure email or verbal permission by the customer prior to making such minor change.
- Incomplete or incorrect applications will not be processed. Applications must include all required information, including documentation of vehicle registration, documentation of the registration fees paid, and receipts for electrical work and permitting fees in accordance with the rebate requirements. Important Note: The name and address on the Application must match exactly the name and address of at least one person listed on the vehicle registration card, or your application may be rejected.
- Applicant must submit its application within six months of purchase/lease of EV in order to be eligible for rebate. Funds will be reserved at the time the applicant initiates the application, but the Applicant must complete the application and submit all required documents within the earlier of 60 days of initiating the application and the end date of the Program. If applicant does not submit its completed application within 60 days of initiation or prior to the end date of the program, the reserved funds will be released and the application will be cancelled. Rebate availability is subject to change at any time.
- Home electrical upgrade work must be performed by a licensed electrician as evidenced by an itemized and subtotaled electrician’s receipt displaying the electrician’s license number. You are not eligible for the rebate if the work was initiated before either November 22, 2017, or more than 6 months before your application date.
- The Program terms and conditions, including the rebate amount, are subject to change or termination at any time by SCE and/or the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC). By participating in the Program, you agree that any information provided in your application, and any information collected by SCE regarding your participation in the Pilot (such as aggregated on-peak and off-peak usage, TOU rate enrollment, etc.), may be used internally by SCE for data collection or other purposes and may be made available to the CPUC, the California Air Resources Board, and potentially other third parties.
- You authorize SCE or an authorized third party to send you email messages related to your application. You: (i) acknowledge that you are the authorized user of the email address provided in the application; (ii) grant SCE express permission to send emails related to your application to that email address until such permission is expressly revoked by you; and (iii) notwithstanding that this email address may be on the federal or a state's Do Not Contact list, acknowledge that such emails sent by SCE shall not be in violation of any Do Not Contact list(s).
- If necessary, SCE may request additional documentation from you to confirm eligibility for the Rebate.
- SCE will send the Rebate payment directly to the customer listed on the application or, if customer consents, to an eligible licensed electrical contractor the applicant designates in the on-line application. Applicant is responsible for paying all tax liability imposed as a result of receiving the Rebate. Applicant should consult a tax advisor concerning the taxability of the Rebate, and SCE is not responsible for any taxes imposed on Applicant as a result of receipt of the Rebate.
- SCE makes no representations, expressed or implied, regarding the design, construction, reliability, efficiency, performance, operation, maintenance, or use of any EV charging station and/or any work performed on customer’s house to connect the EV charging station, discussed, selected, rejected, purchased/ leased or otherwise considered by customer. Any decisions regarding the selection, design, purchase/lease, use and operation of any EV charging station and the electric contractor performing the work shall be at the sole discretion and are the sole responsibility of the customer. SCE does not guarantee energy or bill savings as a result of this Rebate, and your energy bill may increase as a result of using the charging equipment.
- Release and Indemnification: Applicant agrees to release and hold harmless SCE, its officers, directors, shareholders, employees and contractors from and against any and all causes of action, damages, losses, claims, expenses, demands, costs (including attorneys’ fees and expenses and all court, arbitration or other dispute resolution costs), or any of them, resulting from, arising out of, or in any way directly connected with this Program, the work performed in connection with the Level 2 charging station, Applicant’s receipt of the Rebate, failure to receive the Rebate, any taxes associated therewith, or Applicant’s vehicle registration or registration status. SCE makes no representations or warranties regarding whether Applicant will or will not qualify to receive the Rebate.